Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Nunciature Inaguration : Pope Benedict XVI


popeinaguration Posted by Hello

I knew I will have a full day today starting from the IDC conference early morning today till a PSIA forum right after but my dad showed me last weekend the invitation from the Papal Nuncio for a 10am mass at the Cathedral followed by lunch and an evening's cocktails in honor of the new Pope.

Tough decisions. I told him I can accompany him in the evening but morning might be difficult. He agreed because he said he might get someone to accompany him during the morning activities.

Well it seems it was difficult for him to wake up early and I think it was really hard for him to go alone (guilty feeling). So off I left the conference before the last speaker finished so I can be with dad. He always required we leave 1.5 hour before the stated time to make allowance for traffic.

The guests were mostly from the diplomatic community unlike in other gatherings. I unexpectedly met a very gracious lady that evening. She sat beside dad near the piano. Dad called me to say that the lady had been asking for water from the waiter but none arrived. I tried looking for a waiter but it seems all were busy somewhere else so off I went to get the glass of water myself.

Little did I know that she was Austria's charge d'affaires! I made a good friend that night :) I told her of our past travels and visit to Austria and like me she too was passionate in travelling. She had been assigned to Taiwan in the past and the assignment she loved best was on the tourism portion.

She also was amazed that there was a diplomatic residence outside Forbes Park! I was surprised with the remark but she said all residences of Ambassadors are in Forbes (since the embassy bought them ages ago) and only two are in Rockwell so it seems its the first time she attended one in Manila :)

She asked if I intended to pursue what my dad did and I said of course! I just needed to set up some trad businesses and when thats working I will want to start the travel biz once again.

As during the IDC lunch earlier, I noticed the foreigners don 't usually eat unlike the pinoys :) She just took water!

Photo above was prior to the toast led by Papal Nuncio Antonio Franco and beside is a huge banner of the new Pope displayed at the patio where sumptuous ice cream from Amici was served.

No comments: