Friday, April 20, 2007

Dinner at Abe, Dessert at Cupcakes and Hot choco at Mary Grace



I was suprised to learn the other day that Ruben is in Manila.

Bebeth called to ask if I knew and apparently Ruben sent me a text message earlier but was not able to notice it as I was in a meeting.

Ruben brought us around Vienna last year together with Au.


We all then decided to go out last night at the Fort Serendra area, the Bonifacio High Street as it is the newest place in town.

We first strolled along the area to check on the newly opened restaurants. It was only last January that I was here but since then, so much eateries has opened.


I had wanted to try out the other restos that I have read about such as Chelsea, Brazil, Portico but somehow we ended up again in Abe!

This must be my fourth time here. I usually tend to go here if I have guests so specially the balikbayan ones like Ruben. They tend to choose a place serving good old filipino food.


We actually had a feast starting with Bebeth's favorite chicharon bulaklak (cholesterol delight), and two bowls of kinilaw.










The waiter recomended the Tamarind drink which Bebeth and I tried and boy it was really good!!!











This was followed by our main meal, the signature Bamboo Rice,








another cholesterol filled, Abe's version of Dinuguan (cant recall the actual name but it starts with a T).











and of course I wouldn't miss my favorite vegetable dish, gosh I can't recall the name again but it is made of squash, and some greens. Most of the names in the menu sounded exotic.








This was the first time I noticed the Rellenong Suam na Mais. Apparently it is made of corn and shrimp cooked akin to an omelette.







As I am a soup person, there must definitely one during meals and Ruben chose the Sinigang na belly sa Guava. Actually it was for 3-5 persons but we went ahead and got it.










Finally any balikbayan will not be able to resist trying our good old Manggang buro (pickled mangoes) so despite the tons of orders this must still be part of it.







Obviously we were not able to finish all the 'takaw tingin' orders so we had to request the leftovers taken out.

Because we were really so full, we decided to walk the block to bring everything down. Bebeth suggested we cross the street and take a look at the new Serendra strip made up of more restaurants and shops.

I have heard of this area before but this was the first time I saw it and gosh I was suprised with all the newly opened outlets such as Italiannis, Bos Cafe, Starbucks, Havaianas, Fish o Fun and a lot more.


Took a shot of Ruben and Bebeth trying this gigantic steel decor. One has to climb it then jump a bit as suprisingly it has a trampoline effect.







This was another op art design at the park fronting the strip.













After going around both sides of the serendra shop area, we decided to go back and have dessert as planned at Mary Grace. While walking towards the place, I suddenly saw the small Cupcake snack place and I said I must not miss this. I had been reading a lot about to-die-for Cupcakes by Sonja. We all went in to take a look.









These mouth watering cupcakes surely cant remain on their display areas for long so









I decided to get us one each just to try - Ruben got the nutty type, Bebeth, the one with mint and I chose the one with berries.













Nice simple bags huh? Bebeth showed Ruben the Rest Room while I lined up at the cashier.
After I paid for the cupcakes, I waited outside the shop. I liked the painted antique chairs and tables used. I remembered those furnitures in our old home in manila where we lived with Lola and Lolo. Too bad it was given away when we moved to quezon city.


A few minutes later Bebeth called to tell me they are at Mary Grace which apparently was closing so she had to order their famous chocolate which we can just take outside.


I first thought bebeth meant a chocolate cake but apparently Mary Grace served a very delicious hot chocolate drink similar to our local tablea.
Since we were the last clients to pay, we just requested a pitcher full of iced cold water. The weather outside though almost midnight was really too hot and humid.





Everyone must try this highly recommended choco drink. It is really sooooooooo good. I will need to go back in this place soon just for this sweet delicacy.

No comments: